Not a load of rubbish

Attempting to live a whole month without contributing any waste to a landfill site.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Guilty pleasures

I haven’t written for a few days because I’ve been feeling down about the whole experiment. Every time I go into the supermarket I can’t get what I want because of what it’s wrapped up in. Why is this packaging necessary?

This frustration drove me to the edge and I ended up stuffing my face with chocolates in a combination of foil and plastic wrapping. I knew full well I wouldn’t be able to get rid of the evidence in an environmentally friendly way. So I went all out and slid down the slippery slope to landfill hell. Before I knew it, I was eating a KFC and damning the consequences (see picture). Apart from all the waxed cardboard, they even see it necessary to put the salt and serviette together in a sealed plastic bag.

I’m not the only one getting annoyed. The environment agency wants food firms to pack in this packaging palava and here's someone starting a global war on plastic.

This guy thinks I should leave packaging at shops.

Let me know what you do to avoid the packaging.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't give up on your experiment. It just goes to show how hard it is to be environmentally friendly, when there are forces hampering your efforts. It is such a mammoth task to undertake that if there weren't people like you trying to make those sacrifices, then we might as well all give up. Ok so you had a bad day. Draw a line under it and move on. Best of luck.

4:03 pm GMT+1  
Blogger not a load of rubbish said...

Thanks for the encouragement.

10:51 am GMT+1  
Blogger Saskboy said...

I understand the frustration, it sounds like how I felt when I was on an elimination diet to try and weed out the foods I suspected of causing my hives. I know how dieters feel now.

Your blog has given me a bit of a boost to get started with my own composting project. I used to do it as a kid, but it wasn't as organized or effective as I'd like to make mine.

7:01 am GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home