Not a load of rubbish

Attempting to live a whole month without contributing any waste to a landfill site.

Friday, August 04, 2006

Storm in a tea cup

Here’s a picture of me enjoying my first cup of tea since the beginning of the experiment. You can compost tea bags and recycle the milk bottles, so tea shouldn’t be a problem. However, our teabags have a little staple holding together the piece of string with their branded piece of paper.

I can’t buy different tea bags as then I’ll have a polythene wrapper to get rid of. So I went without for three days. That was until it was suggested that I can re-use someone else’s teabag. They were going to have a cuppa anyway…Or is that cheating as well?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

so what has gone into your bin at work and at home so far or do you put your waste in other people's bins?

11:28 am GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this is so cool; i just feel like guilty all the time, but don't do anything about it. i hope you get through the whole time. i'm going to try as well

5:07 pm GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The nicest tea is made with real leaves ( the china cup is optional)...which are then used to compost/mulch plants.

4:42 pm GMT+1  
Blogger not a load of rubbish said...

Optimadeo,

I take my waste home with me - none goes into my work bin. If you want proof, see my latest posting.

6:12 pm GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jono and Oli are saving the world by encouraging people to consider the enviromental impact of their lives.

I bet they would have some tips on reducing land fill for you.

10:43 am GMT+1  
Blogger Unknown said...

I don't think the occasional staple is going to hurt your compost heap - after all, metals are present in the soil anyway and plants need some of them to survive. As long as you don't try and compost girders, you should be fine! :o)

4:35 pm GMT+1  
Blogger not a load of rubbish said...

Muppet,
I can iether do all or nothing. Thinking about things rationally will probable lead to me being able to argue a case for throwing away everthing. So I have to be an extremist for this experiement.

Saying that, I am still using other people's tea bags...

10:55 am GMT+1  
Blogger Saskboy said...

Re-use sounds like fair game, but if it still ends up in the dirt at the end, then is it really reduction - possibly. :-) Interesting blog you have. Good luck with the experiment.

3:42 pm GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home